Two schools at the City University of New York (CUNY) – the Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership at City College of New York and the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies – are establishing a national center to recruit, develop and connect diverse leaders for social change who can imagine and implement visionary solutions for the enormous challenges we face in the 21st century. The new Leadership Institute for Democracy and Social Justice (www.socialjusticeleadership.org) sees a compelling opportunity in the abundant talent of an emerging generation of Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) leaders and will meet a vital need for a scaled initiative that prepares leaders early in their careers in social justice traditions, ideology, literature and history in order to achieve power in all sectors.
The Leadership Institute seeks a part-time Communications Associate to develop and maintain core communications assets – including the website, newsletter, and recruitment materials – and keep core audiences (current and potential program participants, partner organizations, movement stakeholders and funders) apprised and engaged in the Center’s progress. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the start-up team for this new initiative and be part of a dynamic, responsive learning culture that seeks to meet the needs of social justice organizations and emerging leaders.
- Develop and maintain Leadership Center communications assets, including website, newsletter, recruitment and marketing materials, and social media accounts
- Produce regular newsletter to keep stakeholders apprised and engaged
- Produce recruitment and marketing material and content for prospective program participants
- Produce marketing materials for virtual and in-person events to engage funders and stakeholders, including panel discussions and roundtables
- Familiarity with MailChimp, WordPress, basic HTML, and Bluehost a plus
- Graphic design skills and graphic design software
- Strong writing skills and ability to synthesize wide range of information into digestible material
- Experience in an educational, government, or nonprofit setting preferred
- Track record of compelling communications materials, such as website content, newsletters, and social media accounts
- Demonstrated commitment to equity based on race, gender and class; ability to connect with people from historically marginalized identities
- Strong self-starter and self-organizer
- Strong organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Flexible, positive attitude and someone who brings joy to their work
This is a part-time position without benefits. The Communications Associate will receive $24/hour for up to 20 hours each week. The position will be available starting immediately.
In order to be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF document to email@example.com with “[Full Name] – Communications Associate” as the subject of the email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org