Who we are
Kairos is working for liberation at the intersection of technology, racial justice, and democracy. We believe we can both bring organizing into the 21st century while transforming the internet into a place where everyone can thrive. To be successful, we challenge ourselves to live our values and vision as we build the world we want. Joy, laughter, fun, and rigor are the ingredients we include as we work toward our vision together.
Kairos is a small, nimble, and growing team. Our team consists of eight full-time staff people and a few contractors. Everyone pitches in on each aspect of the work, with collaborative input and clear decision makers. We also work closely with a very active fellow and alumni network. We are still growing and learning and are looking for someone who will dive in and help shape our development work for years to come.
The Kairos Development Manager will be the primary driver of Kairos fundraising activities and will anchor and develop the critical infrastructure of the department. The Development Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with members of the program and operations teams.
- Work with Executive Director and development consultant to develop fundraising strategies including identifying and cultivating prospects and developing materials.
- Project manage timely completion of all foundation deadlines, regular donor/prospect communications, and donor engagement activities.
- Provide direct support to the Executive Director on all fundraising activities.
- Draft all donor/prospect communications.
- Track and maintain donor and prospect records, including outreach, contributions and path to goal.
- Schedule donor meetings, calls, etc. for the Executive Director.
- Research foundation and individual prospects. Compile background information as needed.
- Manage logistics for donor/prospect engagement activities.
- Create regular fundraising reports as needed.
- Coordinate production of development materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
Need to have
- Experience in a development department.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience ‘managing up’.
- Strong and concise writing skills.
- Organizing mentality or previous organizing experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
Nice to have skills and experience
- Experience with budgets, ability to read basic non-profit financial documents
- Sense of graphics/visuals to assist with simple donor materials development
- Ability to quickly turn materials around
- Experience with c3/c4 fundraising compliance
If you are passionate about social justice and disrupting structural violence in all forms, and are ready to join our growth-oriented team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply. To apply, simply fill out an application including a cover letter and resume. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.
This is a full-time, exempt salaried position. Kairos staff work roughly 40 hours a week, with the understanding that the schedule must flex to accommodate the necessary ebbs and flows of the work, such as multi-day training and breaking news moments that are crucial for our communities. The salary for this position is $70,000-80,000 based on experience.
We’re aiming for this role to begin on or before July 11, 2022
As we are a distributed team, your primary residence may be located anywhere in the United States, though we have a preference for candidates from the southern US, as to build up investment in that part of the country. Current staff are based in New York City, Durham, Woodstock, Seattle, Chicago, Detroit, Berkeley, and San Francisco. Organization-sponsored travel for conferences, Kairos training, partner meetings, funder meetings, and face-to-face staff gatherings will be required, provided it is safe to do so.
Through our fiscal sponsor, Allied Media Projects, we offer a competitive benefits package including generous vacation; full health, dental, vision, and flex benefits; 403b program; ongoing training opportunities; compensation for local coworking space and incidentals related to the role.
Allied Media Projects is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status or marital status. Given Kairos’s mission to uplift and build power with historically marginalized and oppressed communities, people of color, women, new immigrants and trans folk are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit kairosfellowship.recruitee.com.