Two schools at the City University of New York (CUNY) – the Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership at City College of New York and the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies – are establishing a national institute to recruit, develop and connect diverse leaders for social change who can imagine and implement visionary solutions for the enormous challenges we face in the 21st century. The new Leadership for Democracy and Social Justice (www.socialjusticeleadership.org) sees a compelling opportunity in the abundant talent of an emerging generation of Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) leaders and will meet a vital need for a scaled initiative that prepares leaders early in their careers in social justice traditions, ideology, literature and history in order to achieve power in all sectors.
The flagship programs of the Leadership Institute will be intensive cohort programs for early and mid-career participants that will provide a broad, ecumenical curriculum to give leaders a grounding in the history and theory of social change, in addition to real-world practice and experience. Leaders in the cohorts will participate in paid internships, have options to connect to degree-granting academic programs, and have access to robust wrap-around services including mentorship, career services, and community building.
The Leadership Center is hiring a full-time Office Assistant to provide logistical and administrative support to its growing team and programs. This position reports to the Program Operations Associate and is an exciting opportunity to be part of the launch team for this new initiative and be part of a dynamic, responsive learning culture that seeks to meet the needs of social justice organizations and emerging leaders of color.
- The Office Assistant will provide administrative and logistical support to the Program Operations Associate and Program Coordinator in executing Leadership Center programs to include:
- Supporting in-person programming including setting up and breaking down event space and transporting materials
- Placing food orders and managing delivery and inventory of food, water, and snacks
- Organize and manage inventory of supplies like pens, folders, notepads, etc.
- Helping with financial disbursement requests including document management and completion of forms to finance office using Excel, Google Sheets and Dropbox
- Electronic and physical document management, such as copying, collating, and organizing organizing Google folders
- Conduct research on LinkedIn, Facebook, and other platforms to gain information on prospective candidates for future cohorts
- Other right-hand administrative support as needed including proofreading and written correspondence
- Would be required to work on a few weekends throughout the winter and spring terms.
- Experience in an educational, government, or nonprofit setting preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to equity based on race, gender and class; ability to connect with people from historically marginalized identities
- Strong self-starter and self-organizer
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Flexible, positive attitude and someone who brings joy to their work
- Familiarity with Excel, Canva and Google Suite
The salary range for this position is $55,000 – $65,000 annually. This position will be expected to work in-person in New York City, dependent on public health guidelines (currently a hybrid work schedule, with 3 days in the office, subject to change). The office is located on the City College campus, and this position will be part of the staff team of the Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership. This position will be an employee of the CUNY Research Foundation, which provides a comprehensive benefits package.
Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership
The Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership includes all of the social science departments at CCNY as well as most of the core leadership development and public service programs of the College. Graduating the most CCNY students annually, the Colin Powell School promotes the values of service and engagement. The School supports a faculty of more than 250 tenure, tenure-track, and adjunct professors dedicated to the highest standards of research and to the university’s democratic and public obligations; the School is committed to disseminating research in usable forms, especially that which furthers equality, prosperity, stability, and peace for all people—in Harlem, in New York, and around the world.
CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies
The CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies (SLU) offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Labor Studies and Urban Studies that are designed to meet the needs of working adults as well as traditional-age college students who seek to learn more about the challenges confronting poor and working class populations in the workplace and in the community. It also collaborates with other units of CUNY to offer a range of college-credit programs designed to give workers the academic and technical skills they need for professional advancement. Its faculty includes distinguished scholars in the social sciences as well as expert practitioners in government, labor, and public service. In addition to its academic programs, SLU sponsors research; organizes forums and conferences; and publishes a national journal, New Labor Forum: A journal of ideas, analysis, and debate.
The Colin Powell School is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to equity and inclusion and strongly value the experiences of historically marginalized people and encourage them to apply. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
In order to be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF document to email@example.com with “[Full Name] – Office Assistant” as the subject of the email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org