Website NewVoicesRJ New Voices for Reproductive Justice
Summary: New Voices for Reproductive Justice (NVRJ) seeks an experienced, effective, and creative Policy Director with 5-7 years of policy advocacy experience.
Location: Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, PA, or Cleveland, OH with frequent travel to their home state’s capital city. This position could also be based in Harrisburg, PA or Columbus, OH, with frequent travel to one of NVRJ’s offices in the cities previously listed.
About New Voices for Reproductive Justice:
New Voices is a leader in the Reproductive Justice movement. With nearly two decades of experience in identity-based and issue-based leadership development, community engagement and organizing, and state and federal level policy advocacy, New Voices is the only Reproductive Justice organization in Pennsylvania and the first in Ohio. Our mission is to “Advocate for Black Women, femmes, and girls in Pennsylvania and Ohio through community organizing, leadership development, and voter engagement.” New Voices’ work is firmly rooted in the Reproductive Justice framework, and our programming reflects our mission. New Voices’ core issues include voter engagement, abortion access, and environmental justice.
About the position:
The Policy Director will oversee New Voices for Reproductive Justice’s policy and advocacy portfolio for Pennsylvania, aimed at achieving and sustaining the complete health and wellness of Black women, girls, femmes, and gender expansive folx through a Human Rights and Reproductive Justice framework. The Policy Director will collaborate with the leadership team to develop and inform the organization’s policy position on target issues, engage stakeholders, and mobilize coalition members through issue campaigns, and manage NVRJ’s policy objectives on the federal, state, and local level. This position will report to the Deputy Director.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and other Senior Leadership Team members on strategic national, state, and local policy on core Reproductive Justice issues;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the organization’s policy advocacy work internally and externally, especially in Pennsylvania;
- Create and execute a comprehensive policy plan that utilizes performance metrics in alignment with the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic goals;
- Strengthen the organization’s policy advocacy infrastructure;
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with federal, state, and local policymakers, organize regular meetings, policy briefings and NVRJ policy activities and provide research, testimony, and messaging to policymakers;
- Manage national and state-based policy advocacy partnerships and coalitions, policy organizing campaigns and participate in policy convenings at the national, state, and local level;
- Analyze and synthesize relevant policy updates at the national, local, and state level to steer the direction of policy engagement on key Reproductive Justice issues;
- Collaborate with all staff to advance policy advocacy that boldly intersects with our leadership development, community organizing and culture change work in an effective, sustainable, and innovative manner;
- Translate and summarize pieces of legislation into brief and understandable explanations for NVRJ staff and members;
- Track the organization’s impact with quantitative and qualitative evaluation tools and provide strategic input;
- Speak on behalf of New Voices about the organization’s policy advocacy efforts;
- Coordinate with the Communications Manager to contribute policy-oriented content and messaging for use in communications, marketing materials and social media and digital platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant or related field such as Public Policy and Public Administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Master’s degree preferred;
- 5-7 years’ experience in federal and/or state policy advocacy, legislative advocacy, lobbying, federal, state, and local policymaker engagement including leading at least one campaign;
- 3-5 years supervision experience;
- 3+ years experience working in one or more of the following areas: social justice, reproductive justice, human rights, Black women’s health, leadership development, community organizing, policy advocacy, culture change, and/or voter engagement;
- 2+ years experience working with Black women, femmes, girls and/or gender expansive folx;
- Experience working in and with state and issue based coalitions;
- Experience tracking bills through the legislative process;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the legislative process;
- Strategic, innovative thinker with superb oral and written communication skills;
- Direct knowledge of social justice policy advocacy, policy advocacy strategy planning, policy research and analysis, policymaker engagement, policy organizing or rapid response mobilization and policy messaging;
- Entrepreneurial, results-driven, energetic and ability to maintain grace under fire;
- Must be extremely comfortable with public speaking and presentations when representing NVRJ, able to cultivate and maintain strategic individual and institutional policy partner relationships and demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to effectively discuss Reproductive Justice and the health and well-being of Black women, femmes girls & folx with diverse policy audiences;
- Demonstrates discipline and motivation in completing designated projects;
- Exhibits the ability to work independently and possess excellent time management skills;
- Must be reliable, organized, creative, flexible, collaborative, resourceful, and able to multitask;
- Demonstrates passion, enthusiasm, motivation, commitment, integrity, humor, optimism, positivity, and the ability to inspire others to engage with New Voices;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with CRM database programs, especially EveryAction;
- Valid U.S. driver’s license;
- Reliable access to a reliable car preferred but not required;
- Experience working in Pennsylvania and/or Ohio politics preferred but not required;
- Fluency or proficiency in Spanish, French, or Haitian Creole preferred but not required;
- Experience using Fiscal Note preferred but not required.
Salary and benefits:
Salary: $80,000-$90,000/year, depending on experience and location.
Benefits: New Voices for Reproductive Justice provides a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents, a 401k, generous paid time off, short term disability, life insurance, and 11 paid holidays.
The work schedule can at times be greater than 40 hours per week and includes evening and weekend meetings and events, as necessary. It is not a strictly 9am-5pm position.
To apply: To apply, fill out the application form found here.
New Voices for Reproductive Justice is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that a diverse staff which is representative of our community base is essential to fulfilling our mission. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual abilities, qualifications, and the needs of the organization, and without regard to race (including hairstyle/texture), color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, language fluency except as required by job responsibilities, Native American or First Nations tribal membership status, or marital status.
Black women, girls, femmes, and gender expansive folx are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.newworkingmajority.com.