Website Mvmnt4BlkLives Movement for Black Lives
MOVEMENT FOR BLACK LIVES
The Movement for Black Lives (M4BL) is an ecosystem of organizations and individuals creating a shared vision and strategy to win rights, control and resources for Black people. Building on the legacy and strategies of past movements, the Movement for Black Lives has created a broad political home for Black organizers, activists, and their organizations. Our ecosystem is held together by politics of abolition, anti-capitalism and radical Black Queer Feminisms and a value system that fights for the most marginalized amongst us.
We understand that to achieve both our bold Vision4BlackLives and our goals of Project 2024: Black Power Rising we need to dramatically transform M4BL’s strength in data and technology. We must harness the power of data and tech to innovate our work, to respond nimbly and coherently to emerging opportunities and threats, to experiment with members and partners, and to manage our complex operations.
The Director of Integrated Technology will be responsible for leading the necessary transformations in our tech and data systems that strategically equip our staff, members and key stakeholders in building power from the ground up. They will develop a culture of information through oversight of all aspects of our tech environment including long-term planning, strategy execution, and change management.
The Director of Integrated Technology reports to the Movement Infrastructure and Operations Executive and is part of the staff leadership team. The DITO oversees M4BL’s tech team and is responsible for driving tech, cyber security, infrastructure, and data strategy at M4BL. The managers (TBH) of M4BL’s tech team report to the Director of Integrated Technology, and the Director of Integrated Technology works closely with other team leads to develop, lead, and scale programs that power M4BL’s political and advocacy work.
Will require travel and work on occasional weekends and evenings as determined.
Lead Technology Transformation and Innovation
- Build and lead a new integrated technology team that is strategic and impactful, including IT, UX designer and web developer.
- Project manage a portfolio of core tech infrastructure, contracts, vendor and consultant relationships, experiments, testing and associated team budgeting.
- Set strategic plans and goals for the tech team.
- Conducting hands-on engineering and web development work
- Advise Movement Infrastructure and Operations Executive, and leadership, on tech, data, cyber security, and analytics related issues.
- Lead program management coordinating software and data projects across realms and initiatives including the M4BL app
- Actively solicit input from users across the organization to build and implement an iterative technology roadmap that would be helpful to individual staff, teams, and the full organization. Make decisions transparently.
- Keep technology policies and organizational use standards up to date with modern trends and in line with organizational goals.
Develop and Lead a Culture of Information Technology
- Design information and technology systems to deliver solutions that fulfill the organizations’ information needs and align with the organizations’ strategic initiatives.
- Develop, adopt and implement new technology tools and best practices, while improving upon existing systems– be lead in product management for the organization
- Oversight of our CRM as well as use of the EveryAction database to create efficient workflows, reports, and integrations with other internal softwares.
- Drive cross-functional collaboration through the use of information systems, technology tools, and efficient workflows to bridge across systems and teams.
Protect and Secure Information Systems
- Responsible for the security of data and technology infrastructure, processes and practices, including threat assessments and mitigation and a M4BL server.
- Review and support organizational data agreements.
- Own digital security policy, processes, staff training, and incident response for the organization. Work closely with leadership, on the creation and implementation of an organization-wide Enterprise Risk Management plan.
Note: The Movement for Black Lives is committed to responding flexibly to changing circumstances and priorities which means that the expectations of every position are dynamic. This description reflects the assignment of essential functions but does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, preferably in a political setting.
- Fluency in at least one programming language and web development platform, with significant (5+ years)
- Strong personal alignment with the vision and values of the Movement for Black Lives
- Committed to and driven to a practice of excellence
- Ability to tailor communications to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and manage change.
- Demonstrated experience in technology service and vendor management.
- Demonstrated experience in hiring, supervising, coaching and developing technical staff.
- Analytical with keen knowledge of streamlined processes, management, budgeting, and operations.
- Ability to prioritize work with limited resources and shifting sands/rapid response.
- Strong problem-solving skills and outcomes/results-orientation.
- Demonstrated understanding of user environments: applications, training and adoption, and use of data.
- Demonstrated success with building and maintaining CRMs and dynamic databases
- Experience developing, implementing, and enforcing technology policies and procedures.
- Ability to build and maintain strong, and effective working relationships throughout the organization and with external constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively set and meet strategic priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Work well independently and on a remote team
- Openly and consistently receive and give feedback
- Collaborate on projects and initiatives in a fast-paced and rapid response environment
Salary: $120K – $150K, with full health benefits for employee and dependents, employer-funded retirement plan, remote work stipend, and 28 days of vacation
Equal Opportunity Workplace
The Movement for Black Lives in partnership with its fiscal sponsor the Common Counsel Foundation is proud to be an equal employment workplace. We welcome and encourage job applicants who are motivated to work with us in addressing social injustice and those who have personal experience with injustice. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on any of the follow factors; race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/ or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (genetic characteristics, cancer or a record or history of cancer), military or veteran status, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical including HIV/AIDS, cancer, and genetic characteristics), and genetic information.
Please submit a resume and 1-2 page cover letter to the BambooHR link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the job will remain open until filled. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
To apply for this job please visit mfbl.bamboohr.com.