Vot-ER is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to integrate civic engagement into healthcare. We develop nonpartisan civic engagement tools and programs for every corner of the healthcare system—from medical schools to hospitals to national health policy. Our work is driven by a community of health care professionals, organizers, clinical students, and technologists united by a common vision: healthy communities powered by inclusive democracy. Together, we’ve expanded Vot-ER programs into over 700 hospitals and clinics and helped more than 70,000 Americans prepare to vote. And we’re just getting started.
Vot-ER is seeking our first People Operations Director to oversee and manage all aspects of the people function. This role will partner closely with Vot-ER’s Executive Director and organizational leaders to develop and scale people programs that empower our inclusive team to be successful and skilled in advancing a healthier democracy. This role will provide clarity and direction to those involved in Vot-ER in various ways, including employees, interns, contractors, volunteers, and advisors. The People Operations Director will manage and optimize internal systems and processes to maximize Vot-ER’s efficiency and collaboration. At Vot-ER, we center equity in our work with external partners and with each other, seeking a range of perspectives and saying the hard thing to find the best solutions. We are powered by respect, joy, and throwing flowers (i.e. celebrating exuberantly) to spotlight each other’s successes. Our People Operations Director will serve as a model and guardian of our values and culture.
- Develop and lead strategies and programs that distinguish Vot-ER as a best in class place to work.
- This includes building and managing processes related to: recruiting, learning & development, benefits & compensation, onboarding & offboarding, performance management, payroll, and human resources (HR) policies & compliance.
- Nurture and evolve our inclusive, equitable, and empowering culture through deliberate programs.
- Establish manager and leadership expectations at Vot-ER and support with intentionally designed training programs.
- Lead our performance review approach into a next evolution that best supports our ideal Vot-ER employee journey.
- Coach and support team members as needed in HR, development, and management topics.
- Lead our compensation and benefits approach to prioritize equity and inclusivity.
- Develop and improve HR policies to enable Vot-ER’s equity-centered focus, manage ongoing HR compliance needs, and stay abreast of emerging legal requirements.
- Manage all aspects of the hiring and contractor selection processes, including the creation of offer letters and contract development for consultants and contractors.
- Provide support with logistics and the high-level planning of Vot-ER in-person retreats as a part of our work to strengthen our culture and commitment to one another.
- Select and rollout technology tools and services to optimize the effectiveness of people operations at Vot-ER and to create an enjoyable employee experience.
- Manage consultants, contractors, and vendors to optimally execute on defined people operations projects.
As the People Operations Director at Vot-ER, you will have:
- A commitment to working with diverse teams for an organization that centers health equity, racial justice, and democracy.
- 7+ years of experience in managing people operations, HR, and operational functions OR substantive experience in building and leading those functions in a growing organization.
- Experience in coaching and leading teams and individuals to have candid, productive, and direct discussions. This can include coaching through interpersonal friction, or leading a team “rumble” to effectively surface issues and craft solutions.
- Experience leading organizations and teams through change, partnering with and influencing stakeholders without formal reporting authority.
- A desire to build, create, and test innovative approaches in a startup-like environment.
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to successfully work with a diverse set of team members with varied communication and processing styles and prior career experiences.
- An ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- A strength in clear and engaging communication, both verbally and in writing.
- An understanding of HR and nonprofit compliance areas, and the resourcefulness to expand your knowledge and expertise as needed.
- Comfort in a social change movement where staff and other stakeholders—such as volunteers, health professionals, and interns—work closely and seamlessly together.
- Excitement and energy for leading People Operations work in an all-remote staff environment.
- Experience using Google Workspace, Asana, Slack, Zoom, and other online tools to communicate and collaborate effectively.
As an organization with a vision focused on an inclusive American democracy, we aim to reflect that standard in our own organization as well. Vot-ER has a strong commitment to diversity and especially encourages people who are historically underrepresented in healthcare and civic engagement to be involved at all levels of the organization. Vot-ER is dedicated to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce, through our full-time, part-time, and internship roles. We encourage candidates who meet most of the above requirements to apply, even if you don’t meet them all.
- This is a remote, full-time role. Vot-ER offers a flexible, remote work environment. We have core working hours of 12 pm to 5 pm eastern time, Monday through Friday. During those hours, all employees are expected to be available for meetings and collaboration. Outside of those core hours, each employee sets their own schedule, while recognizing that due to the collaborative nature of the Vot-ER work and mission, employees will often arrange meetings outside of core Vot-ER hours.
- Annual salary ranges from $90,000 to $110,000 with health insurance benefits, a retirement plan, flexible time off policy, and reimbursements for travel-related costs.
To apply for this job please visit voter.recruitee.com.