Organizational Description: Founded in 1994, the mission of the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Justice (Latina Institute) is to build Latina/x power to fight for the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity, and justice. We center Latina/x voices, mobilize our communities, transform the cultural narrative, and drive policy change.
We amplify the grassroots power and thought leadership of Latinas/xs across the country to fuel a larger reproductive justice movement. Read more about the Latina Institute here.
Job Description: The Latina Institute seeks a bilingual (Spanish-English) Virginia State Manager. We are looking for a committed individual who is passionate about raising the voices of Latina/xs in Virginia for change on issues that impact their lives, their dignity, and their health through grassroots organizing and policy advocacy. Reporting to the State Director of Field and Advocacy, the Latina Institute Virginia State Manager will co-develop and help implement the strategy for the state to expand the grassroots movement for reproductive justice in Virginia. They will oversee the day-to-day operations; manage the organizing, leadership development, and advocacy efforts; serve as the primary spokesperson for the state work; and cultivate and build relationships with key local and state stakeholders, partners, and elected officials. Candidates must have experience in developing and managing teams, day-to-day operations, community/issue-based organizing campaigns, and a commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues.
Location: Northern Virginia
- Operations management and oversight:
- Manage budget and financial materials to ensure ongoing
- Collaborate with the Operations department to support state operations and
- Monitor and report on program expenditures; and
- Collaborate with the Development department to support fundraising
- Staff management and oversight:
- Oversee 2 to 4 staff, primarily located in Northern Virginia
- Monitor and report progress on state and local strategy
- Establish, communicate, and evaluate progress towards goals and
- Manage staff in their efforts to develop leaders in targeted communities, conduct civic and voter engagement activities including running a canvass and/or phone bank, outreach to elected official(s), and launch issue-based and community education campaigns, etc.; and
- Provides guidance and leadership to VA state team to ensure staff
- Fosters collaborative workplace culture that is consistent with Latina Institute’s values and team agreements.
- Maintain trust-building Latina Institute communication practices through department meetings, one-on-one relational meetings, and other regular interpersonal communication
- Oversees the organizing and advocacy efforts by:
- Collaborating with state and national team members to train and amplify the skills of our activists through community health and political education, leadership development, collective healing, and civic and voter engagement tools and
- In collaboration with the policy advocate and State Director of Field and Advocacy, oversees the creation of the local and state policy agenda, campaigns, or initiatives.
- Coordinating with state and national team members to plan civic and voter engagement efforts and campaigns that align with the state and national strategy; and
- Assessing areas to deepen and/or cultivate base-building
- Serve as the Latina Institute Virginia primary spokesperson:
- Works with communication team on media and communications opportunities; and
- Works with the communications team to employ social media and other tools to reach our base.
- Pursue strategic leadership positions in target coalition and partner spaces, where the reproductive justice and the Latina Institute state perspective can be uplifted and engaged.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with community partners and organizational allies.
- Works with the Community Mobilization, Government Relations and Public Affairs team in national efforts and campaigns.
- At least two years of management, grassroots/community organizing, and political organizing with demonstrated responsibility at state or national level.
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to foster teamwork and to motivate a wide variety of individuals and stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong presentation and public speaking skills in English and Spanish, required.
- Experience working with communities of color and immigrant
- Strategic, empathetic, and tactical thinker with demonstrated leadership, problem- solving, and creative skills.
- Ability to manage multiple campaigns at once and to prioritize
- Must have a valid driver’s license and preferable own
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, database management/web/online tools, and social media/new media technologies; as well civic engagement tools e., the Voter Activation Network (VAN), Every Action, P2P or SMS texting programs.
- Familiarity with 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 nonprofit
- A working understanding of the political structure of the state; knowledge of the Northern Virginia landscape is required.
Salary & Benefits: Salary ranges from 75K – 85K. Our comprehensive package of benefits includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Vacation, personal, and sick time
- Retirement plan, including employer match
- Paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development
Application Procedure: Please send your resume, cover letter, a brief writing sample (1-2 pages), and list of 3 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: Applicant –VA State Manager
The National Latina Institute for Reproductive Justice is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, LGBTQ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com